Tuesday, July 07, 2009

An Out of Turn Post

For those whom I have been telling that a couple of posts are in the pipeline, especially the priceless series, this is gonna be out of turn – it deserves to be.
For the simple reason that this incident starkly held itself out in the tide of hectic, ruthlessly meted out series of events over last about 2 weeks. The pinnacle was this: 3 take offs, just as many landings, origin airport entry at 1515 Bangladesh Standard Time (1345 IST), destination airport exit at 2310 IST.

All in the middle of what appeared to be a never-ending bout of cold and cough. The doctors at NSCB International Airport didn’t do much out of a youth conjuring up a mix of haughtiness and ignorance towards Bengali, in reality just trying not to speak much and make the cough evident, fearing being quarantined.
I already had a tiding about the excruciating pain the 2 flights (hopping to Pune) were going to inflict upon me, more so the landing part. The first flight had not been such a pain because it was just an ATR – this is a hindsight realization of course – since that is the only difference I found in the two flights.

It was true, even as I was wishing it wouldn’t be. I managed to scrape through the first landing, but quickly realized I was not in for another one, lest my ears should bleed or something. They were making weird noises within already.
Weighed the risk of me appearing as just another desperate guy trying to suck up to the air hostesses; but the pain took over the better of me. I could hardly hear what was happening around me, and I would rather have preferred to be pressed between two walls of thorns at 1000 Pa, than withstand that kinda pain in my ears.

What followed was a very genuine schedule of taking care of me, first by suggesting various mechanisms (blowing within, opening jaws wide) and then giving me some warm water and even chewing gum from their personal belongings.
This was probably professionally demanded of them. But what really was impressive was that I was being watched, and as I twitched in pain during altitude changes, contemplating summoning the cabin crew by pressing the button, she was already by me, asking me if it was still paining, ready with a cup of warm water. This happened so many times I was convinced I literally made her go the ‘extra mile’ trying to yank me out of pain.
Awesome it was, to see how chewing gum was handed over to me, nicely wrapped in tissue. Not one, not two but full four tablets of gum, which is exactly what I had to use to go through the extreme pain. The warm water was in a paper cup, which was in another paper cup, to make the grip more secure against the heat. I was also particularly instructed to hold it carefully as I took it from her.

Wondering if I was so impressed because I was helped in pain, or if it was such a good thing on the contrast of the badly knit fabric of the day, or just by the absolute virtue of the experience, or whatever – here it is – hats off to you, don’t know if you are reading this, nor do I know your name or anything.
Keep the good work up – it is much needed.
Cheers!

2 Comments:

Blogger Satish K Mantha said...

hmm.. how's the health now?

10:31 pm  
Blogger PRANSHU said...

Awesome post man!! Reminded me of Rudraneeta...Could we have one more serving please?One more for me :).:)

10:23 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home